Hi to all,
Some people learn better when they hear things. Others, when they see things. There are many different learning styles. In this activity, you'll take an online quiz, evaluate your answers, and then discuss them with others.
First, go to the following website to take your online quiz: What's Your Learning Style? Answer the questions and click submit to view your results. Create a Google doc to capture your results for the Initial Comment.
Once you've interpreted your results, decide whether or not you agree with them. Look into the tips for how to study and what works and doesn't work in your style. Then join us in the class blog discussion. Be sure to give a summary of what the test said and your analysis of whether or not you feel the result is correct.
Wednesday: Initial Comment
Frame your initial post using our established format and make sure you include the expectations from the above paragraph.
Read this article before submitting a reply post Debunking The Learning Styles Myth (And How To Learn Instead)
- Does this change your mind about learning styles?
- Are you conflicted about what seems accurate on Wednesday only to find it questioned on Thursday?
- Which do you believe and why?
Make sure to continue using the letter format that we have normed thus far in the course and discuss this with the initial post.
- What does the graphic to the left mean to the conversation?

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello class,
ReplyDeleteI learned after taking the Learning Style test that I am a auditory learner. I agree with this result. I defiantly understand instructions when I am told in person better then reading instructions. But some things that I do to learn I wouldn't agree that I am auditory learner, such as studying I like to read The information I'm studying but don't like to read out loud. I am also don't read instructions or assignments out loud. But I do defiantly remember things by hearing or listening to them.
Thank you for reading my comment!!
Macie
Hello Macie,
DeleteAfter reading the article, it didn't change my stand on learning styles too much. I agreed with a lot of the statements that were made. I guess I would say I believe the article a bit more because I think certain subjects require different ways of learning. It really does depend on the class or subject. The graphic to the left is showing that students need a variety of learning options and experiences. The middle states that students learn best when they have multiple forms of learning around them, and around the circle show the forms, as well as where most of the teaching comes from. The teaching needs to be more equal and balanced instead of relying so much on lecture.
I hope you get to review my reply!
Pilot
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteAfter learning about my learning style, I saw I was mostly an auditory learner. This did not come as much of a surprise to me, but it was almost half of my total percentage. I see myself as a majority auditory learner, however I sometimes struggle with it by losing focus a lot. When there is something I find interesting, or something I believe I can do, I am able to perform a lot better on the assignment or project. I am definitely a more auditory learner than tactical or visual.
Thank you for reading my comment,
Pilot
Hello Pilot,
DeleteAfter reading the article, it didn't really change my mind regarding learning styles, however it did teach me more information that I found interesting. I learned that we should switch up our studying habits, and not only study the way that we feel comfortable. The article states that "It is also good to vary the way you study, as it strengthens your abilities overall" which means we should try all of the different studying techniques. I am not conflicted about what I found out about my learning style on Wednesday only to find out this today. I believe this article over the learning styles survey because there is a lot more research that went into this article, and I know that a survey cannot really detect how a person learns. I feel like the image to the left shows us that teaching is mostly done through lecturing, but only 10% of students learn this way. It is also trying to teach us that all students benefit when being taught in multiple different forms, which is how students should be taught.
I hope you get to review my reply,
Maddy
Hey Pilot,
DeleteAfter reviewing the article, I have changed my views on learning styles. I believe that people are most likely to learn best in a way that they practice and what they are comfortable with. For instance, you are an auditory learner and I believe that that possibly is because that is one of the first ways of learning that you experienced. Also, the article states that it is very unlikely that someone will be good at something they hate. You mentioned that you are able to perform better when there is something interesting about what you are doing. I also agree with that statement as the article says "The best teachers, according to the survey in the article, are those who were able to communicate their love of their subject to the students." If you are working on something that you are not necessarily passionate about, you can remind yourself of your motives to decrease the time that it will take you to learn that thing while also learning it more efficiently. There is proof that you can use your learning style to your advantage, but you can also tailor the learning style to what is being learned.
Thanks for considering my response,
Emma
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteThrough the Learning Style test I found out that I am an auditory learner. This does not come as a surprise to me, in order to understand something I learn better by being told. I do usually study by having someone read to me or reading the material allowed to myself. However I have found flashcards ineffective for when I am trying to learn. Hearing instructions said out loud just seems more effective to me.
I hope you can review my comment,
Jayden D.
Hi Jayden,
DeleteAfter reading the article and your post my thoughts on learning styles have not changed. However, I did notice that you have a good idea of what things you can do that are most effective for your learning and things that are not effective for your learning. The article says that it is important that you notice when a learning tequinique is not working, you should try a different method. To conclude, it is good that you found your effective way of learning. I also think that it is important to learn information in multiple different ways, keeping it intersting with entertaining videos or good reading or activities to get up and moving.
Thanks for reading my response,
Keeleigh
Hi Jayden,
DeleteI took a moment to both read your comment and the article "Debunking The Learning Styles Myth (And How To Learn Instead)". The article itself didn't change my views, as I do believe that some students can learn through a few different ways. With your post, I do agree that flashcards aren't the most effective thing for me as well.
Thanks for reading my reply,
-Jen
Hello People,
ReplyDeleteI have been told I am an auditory learner. To be fair though, the test described as %25 visual, %25 tactical, and 50% auditory. This seems to be true as I can pick up my viola and play a song I have just heard. This seems not to be the case with everything else. I believe there are many parts of the brain that contribute to learning, and perhaps the my ears may learn better than my eyes on certain things, But I believe you cannot learn everything well if it is taught in the same way. You must have different way of learning something if the first time did not work out.
Corin Diehl Period 6
Hi Corin,
DeleteAfter reading the article and taking the Learning Styles test my thoughts have changed a little bit. I still agree that I am a Auditory learner, but I do agree with you, your learning style may vary depending on what you are doing. You can't learn every subject in the same learning style. For me with math I'm a more visual learner but for history and English I am a more Auditory learner.
Thanks for reading my response!
Macie
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteI took the quiz and found that I was a visual learner. I don’t really think that is true considering it is a generalized online quiz and I have taken others that have said completely different things. I mean haven’t we all taken about a thousand of these with teachers thinking that is new information to us. It is true that I like flash cards, drawing and I dislike having distractions. I think that people don’t just learn in one way either. I think that we all like to learn in different ways depending on what the topic is. I don’t think that teachers should put us into a box of “you learn best this way” because in reality even if we all had the same learning style the way the teacher teaches won’t change.
Thanks for reading,
Megan Bachand
DeleteHello Class (Part 2),
I read the article on the myth surrounding learning styles and I thought I was really good. My mind set surrounding learning styles has not changed. This was not news to me. People have to stop trying to fit other people into boxes. It was an interesting article to read.
Thanks for reading again,
Megan Bachand
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteI'm here to report on the finding educationplanner.org gave me regarding my learning style. Here are my results:
Auditory: 50%
Tactile: 35%
Visual: 15%
This makes sense to me. I prefer listening to people discuss topics, for example in history class I'd prefer listen to the teacher lecture about the Great Depression rather than read articles on it. I also play the drums, and I believe I have an ability to pickup a song and learn to play it within a rather short period of time. This seems to reflect my being an auditory learner.
Thank you for reading my post,
~ Jack
I've just read the article "Debunking the Learning Styles Myth". I do agree that learning styles are not that important in the larger picture. Though I do believe I often learn best from listening, this is most definitely not always the case. A healthy balance of different learning styles is the best way to learn in my opinion. I may learn math best by doing it, while I may learn history best while hearing it, and I may learn music best via a combination of the two. In the end, I agree with the article that the focus should be on having a growth mindset rather than pandering to your strongest learning style.
DeleteThanks for reading my reply to my own post!
~ Jack
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteI am a tactile learner which means I learn by touching and doing. I understand and remember things by movement. I tend to learn best by drawing, touching, or building. I can remember things better with gestures and movement.
I agree with this statement. I am more likely to remember something if I have actually experienced or done it myself with my hands rather than listen to someone tell me directions.
Thanks for reading my post,
Emma
Hi Emma,
DeleteAfter reading the article my views on learning styles have changed slightly. Before reading the article I believed in learning styles, but after reading the article I realize different subjects require different requirements. When learning it is best for students to be introduced to different learning styles at the same time and not isolate students to thinking they can only learn in one style. A students mind should be focused on growing their mindset instead of putting themselves in a box.
Hope you get to my reply,
Jayden
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteAfter taking the survey, I found that I am mostly an auditory learner. This means that I learn by hearing and listening to others. It says that I understand instructions better when they are told to me, rather than if they are written. I agree with this, because I know that I definitely hate reading instructions and it is hard for me to follow along and understand them. It also says that I can understand things better when I read them aloud. I do not agree with this because I am always able to understand things when I read in my head, and I actually find it more difficult to understand myself when reading aloud.
Thanks for reading my post,
Maddy
Hello, whoever is reading this post,
ReplyDeleteMy summary of my learning style happened to be nearly evened out, at 40% auditory, 30% visual, and 30% tactile. As the results show, the majority is in auditory. I can learn via other methods, but auditory is the key as it’s the binding factor to my knowledge. My best learning comes when I’m both reading and listening, for instance in CNN Student News, I absorbed the information better when I was reading the subtitles while people were talking. I do agree with the analysis, that it says conclusions such as talking to myself to absorb information not just through thought but through my own double processing. I wholly agree with everything that the statement says.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post,
-Jen
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteI learned from the survey that I am an auditory learner. I do not work well with additional noise when I am trying to work or study, and I learn things best when I am hearing them aloud. I agree that I do not work well with noise, but I feel like I learn better when I hear something and then write it down. I disagree with the article saying I remember names better than faces, because I am wayyy more likely to remember a face. Otherwise, it seemed pretty spot on.
Thank you for reading,
Morgan
Hello,
DeleteAfter reading the article "Debunking the Learning Styles Myth" I was not surprised to hear that learning styles aren't really legitimate. It was correct in saying that there should be different styles based on the material. Based on different circumstances, some students may pull different methods from a style. Using "mind over matter" and capturing a students interests will always force them to engage more. I don't think any student can be placed into one specific style of learning.
Thank you for reading,
Morgan
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteI learned from the survey that I am an Auditory and Tactile learner. I do not work well with anything being to loud, as I like to be able to hear what I am able to do, as I hear things best out loud. I do agree that It can be annoying to try and work with so much noise around but I do write down but still listen to one thing to focus on at a time. I do agree that I tend to pay more attention when i'm listen even though it may not seem like I am.
Thank you for reading
Jamison
Hello,
DeleteAfter reading the article "Debunking the Learning Styles Myth" It was interesting to find out that learning styles aren't legitimate, though being correct with different learning styles for one to learn by. Some people just learn a lot better then the next, as not everyone would be able to pay attention to someone who can listen to music and work then someone who doesn't listen to music and work. I do believe that it isn't exactly possible for students or anyone to be placed in a single category for a learning style
Thank you for reading
Jamison
Hi Class,
ReplyDeleteAfter doing the survey, I learned that I am a tactile learner. I learn best hands on. I agree with that. I enjoy learning hands on and a pick up what I need best by actually doing it. I have a very easy time explaining all the details of certain things I have done, it is more difficult for me to tell you what I heard or saw because I did not do it myself. Flash cards are a go to when it comes to memorizing terms. I always have a hard time staying still and I anything hands on. To help my memory I type things on the computer but I also write it on flash cards and actually do it. To conclude, I agree that I am a tactile learner
Thanks for reading,
Keeleigh