Welcome to all,
![]() |
| Image Source |
Here are some examples for you to review that show sensation and perception.
Your brain wants explanations and will often make the simplest version work so that it isn't overwhelmed. Here is a waiter struggling with perception of the walls moving.
Subliminal advertising takes advantage of this and adds images into your advertising that sells their products. Here are a few examples that play with your perception.
10 Hidden Messages in Famous Logos
Your task is to first research a new illusion, perception, or subliminal example that we can view. Use a Google doc to make a hyperlink using the URL in the address bar and add a short description then copy/paste it into the comments an initial post. As the reader you then copy/paste that URL link into a new tab to see what the initial commenter was referring to. Obviously continue to use the letter format in your post.
Go back on Thursday and try to use the reading about sensation and perception to compare and contrast what you shared with what another initial post shared. Perhaps you have additional points to make or even debate about which ID term this best represents. Perhaps you have an example in real life that this best applies to. Remember this is a discussion and let it be authentic and organic. I am expecting the use of specific terms and theories from the reading. State what you think is going on with the illusion/perception example and show us why and how our brain is being tricked.

Hi Class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion I found is this, what I'd like to call, 2d appearing “parabola tangle” gif. The link is here: https://assets.newatlas.com/dims4/default/3861a2d/2147483647/strip/true/crop/600x338+0+0/resize/600x338!/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewatlas-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F3f%2F24%2F0764f2024eb8b3e46c0c0e6c4c7e%2Fillusion-2.gif . (Copy and paste this link into a new tab in case it doesn't show here as a clickable link!) The way I’d shortly explain it is “A 2d image that can appear 3d + rotation”. It’s actually hard to tell if it was made in 2d or a flattened filter 3d model. I’d personally say it was 2d.
-Jen
Hi Jen,
DeleteThis was an interesting illusion. If you focus in on one of the points where two lines meet and make an X and concentrate for long enough, your brain breaks down what is actually happening and it no longer appears to be a 3d shape rotation, but a 2d shape moving back and forth. I believe shape constancy has a role to play in this illusion. Your brain believes the image is a 3d shape rotating, even though it's really 2d and not rotating at all. By focusing on a particular point for long enough your brain can break down what's really happening through its peripheral vision. You have to focus on the space between the lines to see past the illusion.
Thanks for reading my reply,
Jack
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteFor this activity today I did ‘the dress’. At some point in our lives I believe that we have all seen it but in case you need a recap. Here it is.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-31656935
There was a huge debate whether the dress was white with gold lace or blue with black lace. I remember sitting in class in sixth grade talking about it. I personally see the dress as blue with gold or brown lace. Everyone was outraged by this and I always wanted to know why.
Thanks for reading,
Megan Bachand
DeleteHello class,
Spoiler alert the dress is blue and black. However now I am going to explain why. The dress has a lot to do with the individual perception of the dress and the background. People can’t see a lot of the background so the brain plays the game of autofill. People who see white and gold had their brains say that the dress must be near a window and the blue of the sky is tinting it blue. The people who see the blue and the black had their brains say the dress was lit artificially.
Every brain has a different color constancy and that makes everyone see colors a little differently.
I guess this means that my brain thought that it was blue and gold because artificial light gives off yellow lights black must be reflecting it and giving it a golden look. It would be nice if the brain let us know the thought process behind this but then there would be way too many things to think about.
Sources:
https://www.iflscience.com/brain/explaining-perceptions-dress/
https://youtu.be/AskAQwOBvhc
Thanks for reading,
Megan
Hi Megan,
DeleteI actually did the same illusion as you. I personally have seen the dress as white and gold, but never understood how people saw it differently until now. I think it's pretty cool that light can change something so much.
I hope you get to read my post,
Macie
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion I found was about a shoe. There are many debates about this shoe regarding its color. Some see blue and grey, while others see pink and white.
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/grey-and-green-or-pink-and-white-optical-illusion-shoe-divides-internet-2035642
In the article, it says that if you saw pink and white shoes then the right side of your brain is dominant, and if you saw green and grey shoes then the left side of your brain is dominant. Personally, I saw blue and grey, meaning I am left side dominant. What colors did you see?
Thanks,
Maddy
Hey Maddy,
DeleteYour illusion really has me curious on how light affects our perception of color. I see blue and grey as well, therefore the left side of my brain is dominant. I can see how other people would interpret the pink and white, but I don't understand how their brain works to interpret that way. What do the colors have to do with each side of the brain?
Great post,
Emma
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteI am using the "3 or 4 sticks" illusion. I found this while upgrading chapter 5, the reading on sensation and perception. Personally, I believe there are neither 3 or 4 sticks, I think there is part of a 4th stick, and when you look at the bottom of it, your brain autocompletes the top.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/34/32/1f3432adc0957637ef80955868d766ca.jpg
Tell me what you think!
~ Jack
Hi Jack!
Deleteit seems like your illusion can be perceived in a few different ways depending on where you look. This is because the brain is mistaking familiar shapes as being complete, the Gestalt grouping phenomenon known as "closure". It wants to complete the figure, but when you go looking where you'd think it's finished, it's open ended in a place your brain can't comprehend that well. This is because that shape physically cannot exist in 3d space, which our brains have evolved to process.
Now that I think about it, the first and last sticks are solid 3d figures, while between them are lines to show what looks like two extras on one end and only one extra stick on the other. The middle "sticks" play with the edges, as lines, of the first and last stick to create the impossible part.
I hope you'll be able to read my post,
-Jen
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion that I had looked up was the black and blue dress vs the white and gold dress debate. In case you haven't seen it, there is a link below.
https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/styles/cropped_article_image/public/blogs_2015/02/untitled-12-660x334.jpg?itok=KGfEtznT
I was able to figure this out when it first happened because I noticed that the gold and white dress had a lighter background and that the blue and black was darker. This lead me and many others to the conclusion that the difference was in the lighting and not a difference between people.
Thank you for reading my post,
Pilot
Hello Class,
DeleteThe best way to explain how our brains might be processing this would be the difference threshold because the way people see the colors of the dress depends on the version of the photo they see. If they see the one edited with a darker filter will tend to say they see a black and blue dress, while those who see it with a lighter filter will tend to say they see white and gold or pink and gold. If you see the photo with all three differences, you are able to see all variations of the colors that people debated when debating the colors of the dress.
Hopefully you get to see my explanation!
Pilot
Hey Pilot,
DeleteWow! I never knew that the background color and/or the lighting of the image dictates what color dress we see. That is so interesting and astonishing to me! Previously, before I saw the three different images, I always saw a gold ad white dress, but now when I see all three images next to each other, I am able to see how others would see black and blue. The lighting really does make a difference. The illusion I chose was similar to yours: the shoe debate (some see pink and white, while others see green and grey). This too may depend on the background color just like the dress does, however I also found that it depends on which side of your brain is dominant. If you saw pink and white shoes then the right side of your brain is dominant, and if you saw green and grey shoes then the left side of your brain is dominant. This may also be applicable for the illusion you picked with the dress. What color dress did you see?
I hope you get the chance to review my post,
Maddy
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion that I researched is called the "impossible elephant". Here is the link to it.
https://www.moillusions.com/elephant-legs-optical-illusion/
All you have to do is look at the picture of the elephant and count how many legs the elephant has. This seems fairly simple, yet our minds get confused at first glance. There are four legs and four feet on the elephant.
Thanks for reading my post,
Emma
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion I chose is the "Thatcher Effect." Here is the link.
https://www.businessinsider.com/adeles-upside-down-face-is-creepy-because-of-the-thatcher-effect-2016-3
This illusion does not allow a person to understand a face while it is upside down. Although her eyes and mouth are obviously upside down when you flip the picture, our brains can not process that while the picture is upside down.
Thank you for reading,
Jayden
Hello all,
ReplyDeleteI found this illusion and decided I needed to show it to you. It is called "Stay still dots!" This illusion does not let the dots on the page stop moving in your vision, even though they are all perfectly still It fascinates me how the brain can not correctly see this simple picture. Please do not look at it for too long. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nCdG4Q_AZ4XP1-tP6-Tyl5JkD-kGSKCSl8ToF4rKaxU/edit
Hope you like it.
Corin
Hello class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion I researched is the gold and white dress or blue and black dress. Most people think there different colors but there really not. The two pictures were taken differently one of them could have been outside. It was all just a different perception of lighting, it was always the same dress. Here is my link:https://slate.com/technology/2017/04/heres-why-people-saw-the-dress-differently.html
Thanks for reading my post,
Macie
Hello Macie,
DeleteI noticed both of the illusions we searched up are quite similar in the perspective of lighting with a hint of lag with the brain process, expect yours is with color compared to mine which is movement,
I really enjoyed reading this, remembering how popular this illusion was when it first came out what feels like many moons ago!
Jamison
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteThe illusion I researched is the Optical illusion of Moving Pictures. It uses peripheral drift illusion. As it's caused when the brain lags behind, taking slight differences to be able to process the determining factor. As it plays also with perspective of lighting, making the mind trick itself. Here is the Link! https://www.pcmag.com/news/21-optical-illusions-that-prove-your-brain-sucks
Thank you for reading my post hopefully you find it interesting!,
Jamison
Hi Jamison,
DeleteI read your post and I looked on the website. It is so interesting that are brain does what it does. Personally I thought the articles most interesting part was that people did not agree on a color of a dress. What was your favorite part of reading about this optical illusion?
Thanks for sharing,
Keeleigh
Hello Class,
ReplyDeleteI chose to learn about perception people have. I read about Hastalt´s 4 principals of perception. The four principals are similarity, proximity, continuity, and closure. If you want to read more about these principals I read from the website https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/gestalt-principles
Hope you enjoyed!,
Keeleigh